Wednesday, April 1, 2020

Week Eleven

After watching the video on minimalist design for the web. I began thinking about a layout for my manifesto.

First, over break, I finalized my writings for my manifesto. I wrote small paragraphs on three different topics, but all focused on art and design. 

The power of creativity 
I believe in the power of creativity. The importance of the use of our imaginations and ideas. Our imaginations reach beyond reality when we allow ourselves to think. When we remove the restraints, we put on ourselves, we can then explore beyond our first ideas and beyond what others are capable of. With our minds open we can make artwork without the judgment of ourselves. Our art and creativity may be judged and critiqued by others but when we inspire ourselves and are proud of our own work, our creativity soars.

The importance of art (community/culture) 
I believe in the power of art. The power art has stood through time, through cultures, through generations. The connections, the symbolism, the monumental moments captured through creation, the history and fame, and talent all are poured into creating art. Art brings people together. It becomes society’s collective memory. As artists, we add to the collection of creations all captivating a moment in times. Not all art is monumental, high in value, or collectively desired, but all art holds a strong purpose to the artist. 


Why I want to be a graphic designer 
I am committed to becoming a part of the creation of items for a visual world. I feel inspired by the designs I see each day through packaging, advertisementsand branding campaigns. To me, graphic design is an effective art form. It’s a way of visual communication and problem-solvingI hope to create designs that are balanced, creative, and effective 

I started by creating a mix of inspiration on Pinterest. I needed an idea of a direction to go with my sketches. 


In my sketchbook, I made three possible layouts shown below. 




Adobe Summit Videos

1. Creating Advertising Impact With Connected Customer Experiences
I was intrigued by the title of this session with the development of making advertisements more of an experience for the viewer. The majority of this video was about Adobe's product Ad Cloud that allows brands to compare analytics of advertisements across multiple platforms and make adjusts to their ad campaigns to best reach their customers. During the session, the speakers focused on the new approach Rite Aid is making to reach their customers. I have seen Rite Aids newspaper inserts so many times, but in this session, they addressed their switch in taking their print budget and putting that money into digital ads to better reach their customers. I have grown to understand the power and importance of advertisements to branding and sales, however, I wasn't aware of the different approaches advertisers take with the different platforms, such as tv compared to social media, and the research that goes into making advertisements that create sales.

2. Discover What's Next With Adobe Sneaks
This was the most interesting session I watched because it was a compilation of seven new software ideas that could be introduced to Adobe. All seven of them were very creative and useful, but there was one in particular that stood out to me that I would love to use myself called Dually Noted. It's an app where you can interact with physical documents and take notes with them in AR and they become virtual. The example they showed was a person in California with a book and another person in New York with the digital pdf of the book. The person with the hardcopy of the book used an app that identified specific parts that he was able to annotate on. Through the app, the annotations appeared on the points in the pdf version. I think this would be extremely helpful for academic work too for students to share annotations of specific parts of a reading assignment with other students.

3. Making Everyday Moments Personal, Every Experience Shoppable 
This video was similar to the first one I watched about user/consumer experience, however, it also addressed the current situation our world faces and brands can adapt to that. The biggest takeaway from this session was the push for personalization. Brands need to grow to the consumer with the expectations of availability, being up to date and holding the attention of the user. I realized that even though there are two sides to advertising: the brand and the consumer, even those that are apart of the brand are consumers themselves and are still swayed by other brands. We all are driven by consumption and advertisements even those to push branding and teach marketing. It was an interesting realization for me to see how personalized this market is. 

1 comment:

  1. The top sketch to the right side is the most interesting and has a lot of potential. Although after looking at your pintrest images. The bottom sketch would work if designed in a similar way that the Gems item posted works. (Not sure how to describe this) let me know if you are confused. The green sea colors are propionate in your pins. I am assuming this is the color scheme you are going to work with. Keep in mind body text does not have to be black. You could use a dark green.

    Let me know if you have any questions or want to zoom.

    ReplyDelete

Week Sixteen

5/5/20 Today I met Professor Mata through zoom for an in-progress critique. She gave a lot of helpful feedback with my design and the l...