Tuesday, February 4, 2020

Week Three

2/4/20

Our next assignment is to design our own typeface that will then be used in a digital way rather than printing. I originally wanted to digitize my handwriting, but I am not sure how I would use that as a digital project at the end. I began to think beyond that one idea into different concepts that I could use. I had three main ideas I wanted to explore further. 

  1. Cursive Tracing - can type out sentences and have kids digitally trace out the letters.
  2. Block Stacking - child block style that can be stacked.
  3. 3D - create some depth on the screen ???
Below are some sketches I did of the three concepts I thought of. 






I decided to focus on the cursive idea since I feel the most passionate about the reasoning behind the typeface and I think I can turn it into a digital project as well.

I started to work on the characters with the lowercase letters first. After talking to my professor and working out some sizes I finalized an x-height and the maximum size of the descenders and ascenders. I then began doing some sketches of the characters trying to keep the counters and lengths consistent and the dot spacing even.  



We also received feedback from our professor on the typeface layouts we completed last week. I tried my best to keep the layouts consistent between the different platforms, but I can see after speaking to my professor that there are some things that should have been adjusted. I changed based on her suggestions and created the layouts to be more uniform.

Web 1024 x 768px


Phone 750 x 1334px

Film 1280  x 70 px


_____________________________________________________________________________

2/6/20

As a class, we went to the Eckert art gallery to see an interactive projection art exhibition by Genetic Moo. They are a London duo inspired by an ecosystem documentary to code worlds for their micro creations. The exhibition was interesting primarily because it was all created through code and was made to be interactive with the viewer. 

Below are the final sketches for my cursive typeface. I have all the letters from Aa to Zz and numbers 1 to 0. Over the weekend I am going to begin to vectorize my sketches through Illustrator.      








No comments:

Post a Comment

Week Sixteen

5/5/20 Today I met Professor Mata through zoom for an in-progress critique. She gave a lot of helpful feedback with my design and the l...